Dean-O’s Pizza South Damaged by Fire Early this Morning – FOX 15

…….

npressfetimg-135.png

Lafayette, La. – Lafayette firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof of Dean-O’s Pizza South, 2312 Kaliste Saloom Road around 1:10 a.m. this morning. The initial call was reported by a Lafayette Police Officer patrolling the area due to an alarm activation. When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke was coming from the roof top. The business was closed. No employees were on the premise.

Emergency crews forced entry into the restaurant and discovered the fire in a bathroom located near the kitchen. The fire was spreading in the void space above the suspended ceiling. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 20 minutes. The majority of the damage was isolated to the bathroom, kitchen, and ceiling area. The seating area only sustained smoke damage.

Lafayette Fire Department investigators determined that the fire originated in a trash can in the bathroom. It was discovered that employees with a janitorial company was the last ones to leave the restaurant. One of the employees accidentally discarded smoldering material in the trash can.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.